Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Collabio: A Game for Annotating People within Social Networks

Summary:

Collabio is a game that this group developed for Facebook - a social network. The point of the game is to have the highest score, so it is basically a fight to the leader board. To get points, a user must enter tags for their friends and try to guess the tags that have been applied to them. There is also a 'friends who know me best' section, which can be seen in the screen shot below.

The group conducted a user survey to test tag accuracy. They found that the majority of tags were affiliations, while less tags conveyed interests, expertise, and hobbies. They concluded that most of the tags were accurate descriptors of the people in the social network.

Comments:

I find it difficult to find the merit in this research. I know that tags contain useful, easy to use information about (in this case) people, but why aren't the existing games good enough? I am not sure how much incentive the user has to spend time tagging and guessing tags either. The main question I find myself asking after this paper - why?

1 comment:

  1. I think the researchers were trying to emphasize that social tagging allows for easier contact among friends. Don't get me wrong, I don't see this as a fun game.

    ReplyDelete